Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Rescheduling of HCPs and How it Affects People with Chronic Pain






The DEA's rescheduling of narcotics has affected the chronic pain community in a huge way. It has resulted in only more suffering for those who live with chronic pain. Many patients have lost their access to pain prescriptions all together, and those that were able to keep their prescriptions are now under more scrutiny than ever. Patients that were able to continue their prescriptions after the rescheduling of narcotic medications essentially began being treated as potential criminals. They are often asked to sign contracts by the doctors who prescribe them their medications allowing the doctor to take a urine sample at any time, any day. This is for the same reasons that are for the people on probation and parole; to make sure they are not doing anything they shouldn't. This protects the doctor, and allows the DEA to have control over how much of the prescription medications are given out and watch to see if they are being abused. These contracts typically contain components forbidding the recipient from selling or giving their prescriptions to other people. Something someone in severe pain most likely would never do. They need those medications for themselves and cannot afford to loose them.  The contract may also allow your prescriptions to be counted at any time as well. Under the DEA's restrictions, you may also be subject to less medications for per refill, add needing a physical prescription versus an electronically sent prescription for every single refill. This means that you must visit your doctor every time you need a refill to retrieve a paper prescription. More doctors visits means more money is needed for co-pays, deductibles, and travel. Travel is especially expensive for those who travel to a neighboring city for doctor's visits. This results in time needing to be taken off from work as well. Less pay and more need for income to pay for such a luxury as to have some pain relief. Yet, those of us that cannot even obtain a prescription for various reasons are envious of those that have the chance to even endure that struggle. We would jump through those hoops and endure the extra milestones just to receive such relief.

Unfortunately, these restrictions are not easy on the medical providers either. Often, they feel like they cannot meet their pain patient's needs. If they do prescribe a certain amount of prescription pain medications then they soon become the subject of scrutiny by the DEA. They can have only a certain amount of patients on pain medications (here it is 12) before they start being investigated. Out of the hundreds of patients they see, they must choose the 12 most deserving people, and hope to find some backup form of relief for the others. The problem is, with chronic pain, there is not really any other form of relief. Please realize that your health care provider probably does not agree with these restrictions either. They are only trying to protect themselves and their practice from the DEA, and that is not something we can take personally.

When people in chronic pain do get a pain prescription from their doctor, getting it from the pharmacy is a whole other problem. Often, the pharmacies run out because of the current restrictions. Even if they do not run out, the pharmacists are able to choose who can and who cannot get their prescriptions. People who pick up prescriptions for pain killers from pharmacies often feel like they are under tremendous scrutiny by the pharmacists and others around them.

So, those of us with pain are often left in the sidelines of this "war against narcotics". We have very little access to treatments that we do find helpful. Some people may benefit slightly from their antidepressant/diet/exercise regimen, but most do not. Although antidepressants are helpful for those that do exhibit depressive symptoms, but what about those who don't? I was not depressed before I was started on a whole array of different antidepressants. After taking them for some time, I became very depressed. They are not meant to be used for people who are not depressed to begin with because they tend to have the opposite effect. I have tried the two FDA approved medications for fibromyalgia with little to no improvement. I take my vitamins and minerals. I take my muscle relaxers. I use essential oils. I have regular chiropractic adjustments. I do stretches. I exercise regularly. I do acupuncture. I eat well. I fill my body with mostly healthy things. I have detoxed. I research regularly and try new things ALL THE TIME. I have tried nearly every trick in the book to find some sort of relief, but so far not a damn thing has made enough of a difference for me to continue it. The doctor has no idea what to do with me, my family has no idea what to do with me, I have no idea what to do with me. I feel like I have reached to end of my rope, and that nothing can help me. I will keep trying of course, but I am running out of things to try.

Now, I kind of feel like there are two solutions to help alleviate some of the pain, yet they are both illegal. I could go out and buy a pain prescription from somebody, but for many reasons, it is a bad idea. I have thought about it many of times in the past, and still do. I mean if I cannot rely on my doctor, or the DEA, to at least help me make it through the day without excruciating pain, then maybe I should just help myself. Here are the problems with that: I could wind up in the legal system, and trust me, I have met plenty of people that have wound up in the system for 6 plus years for a pill or two. If it is not your prescription, it is a big deal. Very unwise, but doable. Imagine the price of living that way though, both for the money cost, and for the chance you were caught. That is jail time, and if you are lucky, pre-release, then probation for many years after that. Nothing I am interested in. If I beg my doctor then I will only look like a drug seeker. But, really, I am only seeking some relief! My age is an obstacle, I mean who would give a pain killer script to a healthy "looking" 24 year old? I just want something to help!

Another option is marijuana. I do use marijuana for my symptoms. No I do not just lounge around my house eating cookies, no I am not a "stoner", nor do I abuse the herb. But, to be able to find something that could bring some relief with it is downright wonderful. It helps, not tremendously, but it makes a noticeable difference in the amount I can accomplish with it versus what I can without. It allows me to complete my chores around the house, cook meals, and everyday tasks that need doing. I do not want to sit around when I am using it, I want to get things done because I feel well enough to do them, or at least push my way through them. Marijuana allows me to do that. Problem with this is, it is not a medication that I can take at work. So, work becomes the most painful and difficult part of my day, everyday. 

The troubling part is, my marijuana use is illegal. It is not legal in my state except for medical reasons. But, do not have my card because of the cost, criticism, and paper trails that come along with having one. My doctor also has not approved of the idea, so I haven't tried very hard to get one. Because of the inability to receive prescription pain killers, I have had to illegally obtain something that will help. I do not want to be a criminal, really, but I felt like I don't have much other choice at this point. Ah, thanks DEA! Congratulations you are creating thousands of criminals. Just so you know.......

Hundreds of thousands of people are left to rot in their pain state with little help from any direction. It is unfortunate being one of them. With no place in the medical system, chronic pain sufferers are kind of like the lonely outcast group with nowhere to turn. I don't know about you all, but I feel very let down and neglected by the entire health care system, the DEA, and the political groups that get to decide our fates.

In the long run, I am going to assume that it is only going to take a few more years for the legalization of marijuana, and I cannot wait for the day that I can medicate my illness in a legal manor. It is my illness, and I should be able to treat it the way I feel fit.  I am tired of living in pain, and I am tired of being left on the sideline in so many ways.



This is a judgment free zone, so feel free to leave a comment. I would like to hear your opinions, thoughts, ideas, and anything else.

-Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment